Saturday, April 25, 2009

heavy week

This last week was heavy on learning experiences. In clinic, I saw many more patients than the previous week, I even began a debridement(cleaning) on one of them. I learned how to use several new devices including an air powder polisher, which is like a sandblaster that uses water air and baking soda to remove stain and debris from tooth surfaces. I also learned how to perform pit and fissure sealants, which involves polishing the tooth to remove debris, etching the enamel to prep it for a sealant, and then applying a polymer with silicate particles embedded in it, followed by a UV light to make it set. The process is tricky at best because it must be done on a totally dry surface. Let me tell you, making and maintaining a totally dry surface anywhere in the mouth requires some work.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so excited you're getting to learn all these neat things!