Sunday, October 24, 2010

October crafts update.

Since I've been unemployed lately I've had a lot of free time on my hands. I've used some of that time to work on new jewelry projects.


The first project I worked with was flame painting. I found that it will be much easier to have consistent results if I ever have access to an oxyacetaline torch, but the results were still fun.










The next set of pieces I worked in involved making simple head pins by melting copper wire. I was inspired partly by the carnivorous Drosera plants. They didn't quite capture what I was looking for, so I think I'll experiment and look for a new technique before I flesh out this collection.








Having found a new technique for placing finishes on pieces I decided to play around with permanent markers as a resist for liver of sulfur finishing. The results were interesting, but as I played around with the pieces I found a different technique that not only offered the ability to resist the liver of sulfur blackening, but also gave an element visual depth. I imagine these ones will be turned into earrings, but I may make others more suited to pendants or bracelets.



The latest set of pieces I've been playing with has been interconnected cubes. It has taken a while to get my soldering technique down to the point where I can make these with any speed, but they have turned out nice. I'm considering playing around with finishes for them, since they have silver soldered joints that a lot of folks wouldn't like and several finishes could hide that, sadly the shiny copper would also be hidden.

2 comments:

Linus said...

Wow - I love the captive ball necklace. :)

Teh Dr. said...

Thanks man.