Friday, March 20, 2009

Copper etching experiment



I am currently experimenting with etching copper. I had not previously played around with the technique because I could not find Ferric Chloride, which is the main chemical used in the etching process. Tonight, though, I stumbled on a different formula for copper etching. This one is even reusable and much less toxic and I can make it from household products.

The basic premise is this. Add 1 part muriatic acid to 2 parts hydrogen peroxide for the etching solution, then add toner or permanent marker to the copper where the copper should not be etched.

For my first experimental attempt I took a scrap piece and scribbled some random runes on it along with a rough drawing of a keyhole. I left it in the solution for about 15 minutes and the images were etched into the copper, along with a lovely oil slick color pattern.

1 comment:

Linus said...

Your skills continue to grow, man. That is awesome!